While I'm here, I figured I'd post an update and resolution to this.
After NIS dropped dead, many other programs and applications began sprouting errors, including Windows itself, and I wasn't sure where the problem was, but was then convinced it wasn't a NIS-specific issue, but a computer issue, possibly Windows itself, either corrupt or infected in some way.
Problem was, I couldn't successfully run any anti-spyware/anti-malware programs, as most programs would either throw an error message or simply not run at all. I tried using a thumb drive to run a scan but that too failed, so I thought I'd just reformat the drive and start fresh. This is a secondary computer, so there wasn't anything on it I really needed anyway. After a quick backup of drag and drop file dumping, I began the process of restoring the PC from the built-in HP backup (Drive D).
Well, after five unsuccessful attempts to reformat, with error messages ranging from "Illegal Windows Installation" messages, "Unlicensed Windows" error messages, "this, that the other" error messages and associated Windows audio "FAIL" tones, along with failure to register, failure to update and failure to do most everything else, I thought, okay, let's just dump Vista altogether and grab a new-install of Windows 7.
Of course, that too failed to install, and after attempting to install it, I was left with a permanent BSOD.
So now, after a few days of frustration (and oblivious ignorance as to why I didn't perform this task in the first place), I decided to run the built-in diagnostics. Lo and behold, a memory module failed the test.
At this point, I didn't care which module it was, I'd change them all, thinking if one could fail, they all could eventually fail. Plus, I'd want to at least match a pair, so I'd want at least 2 new cards. I bought four new modules, swapped them out, started the computer and successfully reinstalled Vista from the HP backup drive.
Eternally long and boring story short, I should have ran diagnostics before I decided to reformat and would have saved myself time, aggravation and the tedious task of reinstalling all my stuff.
Anyway, computer works almost perfectly now, aside from the fact that it no longer resumes from hibernation. For that, I just changed the power settings and it no longer hibernates. The lazy work around until I care enough to investigate further.